Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Really...Short

Yesterday's class was rather short. Not that I'm complaining, I enjoy the extra time to do other work, but I've begun to really enjoy the presentations. Even if I don't normally speak, I really find them interesting. I wish the other two presenters had been there as well. Oh well, hopefully Wednesday we'll have everyone.

I really enjoyed the presentations yesterday, as usual. Kirsten's paper presented a more general topic rather than some of the narrowed down ideas that we've seen before. I think what I enjoyed the most was that she took on both sides of the change aspect: most people do have the ability to change and better themselves, but some people are incapable of it. I found myself nodding with this opinion because I find that the majority of the population can change and probably wants to, but for some people it's too difficult or they simply don't see their wrongs and thus don't do anything to change.

Then there was also Evander's paper. He put a lot of research into it and I could feel that he was trying, but like most I was slightly lost by what he was trying to accomplish. I agree with everyone else that if he narrowed down a bit more and, as he even stated, found a thesis, he'd be able to put all that research to good use. One point that stuck with me is that he briefly mentioned how babies are born with no knowledge. The more I thought about it, I thought how strange that seemed. I vaguely recall studies being shown that a baby understands the mother's voice and I want to say that Emily mentioned something about the gene coding in a child being so complex and wise that they have this preprogrammed notion of the world even before they truly understand it. Hmmm...

Overall, wonderful job. I can't wait for tomorrow's presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment