Friday, March 25, 2011

The End (Acts IV and V)

The ending...what to say about it? I was curious about how they were going to wrap it all up with act five, since it was all pretty much taken care of in act four, but I suppose it was an ending. I enjoyed the mini play which the actors performed, however it felt as if the last act was simply tagged on because there needed to be another act. Everything had been resolved in act four and the play would have been fine without the extra act.

I also feel a bit cheated that Helena easily accepts Demetrius after she wakes up. I understand that it was all supposed to be portrayed as a dream, but obviously Demetrius didn't like her when they entered the woods and now he suddenly does? And she doesn't question this at all? I feel as if simply saying 'it was all a dream' was to wrap up everything, including certain things that can't be wrapped up in a dream. What about the group of actors seeing Bottom as an ass? Don't they remember that? Yes, indeed, I feel a little cheated out of a highly satisfactory ending.

That being said, I really did enjoy the little play the actors performed. Especially as they kept messing up. I'm excited to see the little play in the movie, to see if it's just as funny as it was when I read the excerpt.

No comments:

Post a Comment