Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I'm really loving this play! Not too surprised though, because I usually enjoy Shakespeare's plays. I'd love to read his sonnets someday; I've heard so much good praise about them. Act 2 ends at great place; I'm so excited to see how it all ends up. The fairies are my favorite characters thus far. I'm simply enchanted by how they sing, frolic, and dance to control the seasons and the animals. It would be so much fun to be one of them. While the fairies touch upon my imagination, the human characters resonate reality for me. Most of Shakespeares characters are always so easy to relate to, which is saying something given that these plays are written for a totally different audience in very different times. Sometimes I get caught up, as I'm sure we all do, in my emotions. I feel singled out and misunderstood; its refreshing to see people feeling, thinking, and going through some of the same things I did or am going through, as far back as the 16th century. Even though I know the stories are made-up, they still, like most made-up things, are inspired by real emotions and situations, which for me is reassuring and quite comical to realize that I'm not the only person in history to ever feel a certain way. It lessens the severity of a situation or emotion and even gives it a bit of perspective. I guess I just feel more human in a way.
Once again I'm really excited to see how this tangled web concludes!

No comments:

Post a Comment